Monday, February 7, 2011

Five Favorites

A few days ago, I was snowed in and in search of something to occupy myself. As the world outside my window swiftly transformed into a whirling winter wonderland, I decided to sift through the contents of my poetry collection. Admittedly, my stack of poetry books is rather small, but it still brings me such happiness to know that the voices of all my favorite poets are sitting on my shelf, waiting to be listened to. This poetry perusal inspired me to comprise a list of my top five favorite poets. You should know that I have an odd fascination with ranking things, and I'm sure you're already aware that poetry is a passion of mine, so making a list of poets is naturally appealing to me. I'm actually surprised that I've never taken up this task before. Regardless, I thought I'd share my list of favorites in the hopes that you will be just as stirred by their poignant words. Here goes.

1. E. E. Cummings

Edward Estlin Cummings will forever be my favorite poet. A book of his is permanently placed at the top of my pile of poetry like a friendly face I pass by again and again.

Though I've known about E. E. Cummings for years, I previously identified him as nothing more than the "lower-case letters guy". But since purchasing a book of selected poems, I've come to appreciate him for who he is: a brilliant, revolutionary wordsmith. His poetry is so structurally simplistic, yet it contains more potent thoughts, feelings, and imagery than that of any other poet I've read. His poetry is also visually appealing; E. E. Cummings was an artist, in every sense of the word.

It's nearly impossible for me to pick a single favorite poem, but in my opinion, this is one of his best:


it is so long since my heart has been with yours


shut by our mingling arms through

a darkness where new lights begin and

increase,

since your mind has walked into

my kiss as a stranger

into the streets and colours of a town--


that i have perhaps forgotten

how,always(from

these hurrying crudities

of blood and flesh)Love

coins His most gradual gesture,


and whittles life to eternity


--after which our separating selves become museums

filled with skilfully stuffed memories


Cummings introduces so many captivating ideas, such as comparing a first kiss to an unfamiliar town and memories to artifacts in a museum. He somehow manages to convey the most universal ideas in such a freshly compelling manner, a feat I hope to accomplish in my own writing.


2. Langston Hughes

Langston Hughes is one of my favorite classic poets. I've always been enchanted by the Harlem Renaissance; I wrote a paper about the period for history class last year. Hughes beautifully captures the themes of the era in a way that affects people of all cultures and backgrounds, even though many of his poems specifically address exclusively African-American issues. Though you really can't go wrong with any of his work, I would recommend the following poem.

The Dream Keeper


Bring me all of your dreams,

You dreamer,

Bring me all of your

Heart melodies

That I may wrap them

In a blue cloud-cloth

Away from the too-rough fingers

Of the world.


3. Billy Collins

In my humble opinion, Billy Collins is one of the greatest contemporary poets in the world. As poet Stephen Dunn so thoughtfully put it, "We seem to always know where we are in a Billy Collins poem, but not necessarily where he is going. I love to arrive with him at his arrivals. He doesn't hide things from us, as I think lesser poets do. He allows us to overhear, clearly, what he himself has discovered." This is precisely the appeal of Collins' poetry: he invites the reader along for the ride. There is a certain closeness he manages to establish with the reader that is difficult to come by. My favorite poem of his is called "Forgetfulness", but it's too lengthy to include here.

4. Mary Oliver

A book by Mary Oliver was one of my very first poetry collections, so her poetry naturally holds a special place in my heart. Though I'll admit that I'm not quite as appreciative of nature as I'd like to be, her often nature-themed poetry is still profoundly moving to me. I'd recommend "The Journey", a poem about the importance of valuing yourself.


5. Emily Dickinson

Emily Dickinson is another writer worthy of recognition. I've always been especially drawn to her because she was known as a bit of a recluse, something I can relate to. In addition, she has an unparalleled way with words, as her poems have a sort of effortlessly graceful rhythm to them. My favorite poem of hers, perhaps also her most popular, is the following:


"Hope" is the thing with feathers -

That perches in the soul -

And sings the tune without the words -

And never stops - at all -


And sweetest - in the gale - is heard -

And sore must be the storm -

That could abash the little Bird

That kept so many warm -


I've heard it in the chillest land -

And on the strangest Sea -

Yet - never - in Extremity,

It asked a crumb - of me.

Dickinson's representation of hope as a sweet, singing bird is beautifully woven throughout the poem, as is a specific rhyming structure, revealing her genius craftsmanship.

Do any of you have recommendations of poets or specific poems that you'd like to share? I'd love to add to my collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment