Sunday, April 17, 2011

Book Review: The Lovely Bones


This weekend, I finally finished the bestselling novel The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I say 'finally' not because I put off reading it, but because, amidst the craziness of the final months of my senior year, it's been so difficult to find the time to sit down and read. I'm so thankful that I did, though; The Lovely Bones was certainly worth the wait.


When it comes to books made into movies, the conventional order is to read the book first, then watch the movie, right? Well, in the case of The Lovely Bones, I saw the movie about a year before I read the book, so I was initially skeptical as to whether I'd enjoy the novel after being so familiar with the plot and characters. Thank goodness I didn't let this concern prevent me from experiencing Sebold's literary masterpiece. If you haven't read it yet, run to the nearest bookstore! Trust me; it's worth it.



The most beautiful aspect of Sebold's novel is its ability to deliver a story of death and suffering in a hopeful, even humorous manner. A book about a young girl's rape and subsequent death sounds like the opposite of uplifting, but somehow, Sebold manages to mix vitality with loss, laughter with anguish, so that the reader is ultimately left profoundly affected but far from depressed.



Another notable success of The Lovely Bones is the way it gracefully weaves numerous threads into one narrative, as Sebold strings together the stories of multiple characters' responses to young Susie Salmon's tragic disappearance and death. In addition to these varied perspectives, Sebold gives Susie a voice throughout the novel, as Susie narrates the story from her place in heaven. Witnessing Susie's reactions to her loved ones' struggles to cope with her death is deeply moving, another element that exemplifies Sebold's genius.



And, as you may have guessed, Sebold's writing style is another strong point. The way she paints portraits with her words is truly mesmerizing, as this passage reveals:



"I loved the way the burned-out flashcubes of the Kodak Instamatic marked a moment that had massed, one that would now be gone forever except for a picture. When they were spent, I took the cubed four-corner flashbulbs and passed them from hand to hand until they cooled. The broken filaments of the flash would turn a molten marble blue or sometimes smoke the thin glass black. I had rescued the moment by using my camera and in that way had found a way to stop time and hold it. No one could take that image away from me because I owned it."



Not only does that paragraph masterfully convey such powerful themes as time, loss, and control, but it appeals to the reader's senses so that he or she is drawn in, wholly absorbed into Susie's ethereal world. And is that not what we want from our beloved books? To be wholly absorbed?

5 comments:

  1. Great post Kate! I LOVE this book, but it's been a while since I read it! I really agree with all of your comment about the beautiful balance in the book, despite its depressing subject matter. Great post! I think maybe I will reread the book this summer and then rent the movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jamie! I'm glad you enjoyed the book too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought this book was written in poetry form. Yes, it was beautiful.

    In your review you captured the beauty all over again. I enjoyed reading it.

    I have noticed though it is ok to watch the movie before reading the book. The movie is never anything like the book.

    I was able to get more involved with different characters like Ruth, we saw more of her in the book and I understood her more..

    I truly enjoyed this book, even though Im not a religious person. its something I would read again. and the movie.. I watch it every-time it comes on T.V.

    I'm glad you enjoyed this book.
    PassionReads/The Lovely Bones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the book and wanted to see the movie too. I think if you read the book you should see the movie because you see visually what the story is saying and it makes it more complete. It's also sad. But the topic is sad. Well done...glad I bought it.

    Mariz
    Believe it, Asbestos Lawyer Pasadena

    ReplyDelete