Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Poetics of Songwriting

At a recent family dinner, my grandfather suggested that I turn my passion for poetry into a career as a lyricist. I initially brushed off the idea, but as I listened to music throughout the past week or so, I couldn't help but notice all the poetic elements of my favorite songs. It's undeniable that writing lyrics requires polished writing skills and knowledge of poetry, but I think we often overlook the significant overlap between the two medias. I happened to stumble across this article which explains and emphasizes many important parallels and distinctions between song lyrics and poetry. Have you ever taken the time to criticize the lyrics of the songs you listen to from a poet's point of view?

If the answer is no, I suggest you try it out. Okay, I'll admit that much of our culture's popular music today doesn't fall under the poetry umbrella. I catch myself singing along to Rihanna and Katy Perry as much as the next teenager, but I wouldn't exactly call their songs poetic, per se. Still, there are numerous songwriters out there who deserve recognition from not only music lovers, but word lovers, too.

One of my favorite artists and a perfect example of this is the incomparable Regina Spektor. She writes and performs stunning songs about a multitude of fascinating topics. Sometimes, the lyrics are so abstractly beautiful that the meaning of the song can be interpreted a hundred different ways. A personal favorite is "Braille", a poignant piano ballad. In my opinion, the best part of the song goes:

And it was raining cats and dogs outside of her window,
And she knew they'd be destined to become sacred road kill on the way.
And she was listening to the sound of heavens shaking,
Thinking about puddles and, puddles and mistakes.

I was so moved by Regina's description of a romantic relationship of hers as "sacred road kill". I think we can all relate to the feeling that our connection with someone seems so divine, yet we know it will end painfully, even violently, perhaps. Her use of metaphor strengthens the message of her song, and for this, I believe she qualifies as a poet as much as a musician.

Here's the full song for your listening pleasure:


An equally fitting yet more obscure example is Chris Pureka, an indie singer-songwriter I discovered a few months ago. Her song "Burning Bridges" is pure poetry set to music. The most searing part is the following:

Some fantasies are never meant to be realized at all,
And some regrets could be prevented
If you read the writing on the wall.
Oh, and sometimes you say, "You know, nothing can happen",
And then she leans over and lifts off your glasses,
And next thing you know, you're just tangled and guilty,
And you've got a head full of liquor and perfume.

I'm repeatedly struck by the way she weaves such meaningful images and gestures into her lyrics, such as another "lifting off your glasses " and having "a head full of liquor and perfume". The sensory experiences she describes are so vividly portrayed that, for me, at least, it's impossible to remain unaffected.

You can hear the complete song by watching this live performance:


So, next time you're looking for inspiration for your own writing, poring over poetry isn't your only option. Just pop in some headphones and listen to your favorite song. You just may find what you're looking for.

P.S. If you have any favorite song lyrics or songwriters, feel free to share! I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment